12.20.2009

DIY Peppermint Mocha

'The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.' But since 'I can sing, I just choose not to sing. Especially in front of other people,'* I'm giving away these at the office instead:

It's no secret that I love me some clear glass ornament projects, and I thought they'd make festive packaging for the couple servings of peppermint mocha mix I'm trying to contain. I used 67mm (2.63 in.) bulbs and filled them up about half way with 6 tbsp of mix. I messed around til I came up with a pretty yummy recipe:
  • 1 cup of hot cocoa
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup of instant coffee
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract
  • adjust coffee and extract amount according to your taste, mix well in food processor
To minimize the powder leakage, I inserted a mini marshmallow under each cap:
To add a little color inside the glass bulbs, I broke off peppermint sticks to insert into each one. Many sticks were sacrificed as I needed them to be the exact height where they remain standing without impeding on the marshmallow cap action, which had a very low tolerance. *Note: soft mints break nicely, regular candy canes do not.

With matching ribbons and instruction tag (reads 'Add 3 tbsp or more of mocha mix to a cup of hot water or milk and enjoy!'), these are ready to go!
The boxed edition went into ultra limited production. As da hubs pointed out, not everyone appreciate nice balls. Note: the mix will 'dirty' the peppermint stick in transport, but with a few shakes/taps, it cleans up quite nicely!

Happy Holidays everybody!

*My fav Xmas movie


16 comments:

  1. Wow, the presentation is gorgeous! What a lovely idea. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea! Love it and plan to bookmark it for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are amazing!!! a fabulous idea I will need to tuck away for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Think I will make them to give to the ladies at our church cookie exchange as a little treat. How did you make the labels? They look transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @auntsister: the tags were printed on transparencies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. There are so many "mix" gifts but this one is one "I" would actually like to receive. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these. I made a few and linked back to your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I linked to you tonight. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just the cutest, most clever, creative little gifts! 'Especially love the packaging...would like to see what your special-edition boxes looked like too! I saw this last spring and am coming back now to take another look before Christmas even gets here, so I can be plenty prepared to try my own this year. May I ask a few questions?
    -Did you cut each rounded transparency tag by hand, or have some kindof of little die cut thing in that shape?
    -Did you wash them out first, or fill right from the package. If the former- any tips on washing something like this well without breaking, and getting thoroughly cleaned/rinsed?
    -Can you suggest a brand or place to purchase the kind of soft peppermint sticks you liked?
    -Were you able to make bigger batches of the mix, or one bulb's worth at a time?
    -Does the extract mix well with the powder and not just clump to it on impact?
    Sorry I'm kindof a detail person, and you did such an awesome job, I'd like to replicate them nearly as well...but I'm thinking of adding a top row of mini marshmallows too! Thanks for your time & help! :)
    -Krystal,
    www.Andrew-and-Krystal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, super clever, and I might try it this year....loved it....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog and this project - so creative and fun and a great gift! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete